If you’ve wondered how to increase space in your house or if your backyard can hold another livable space, then granny flat is the right choice for you. While a ‘granny flat’ was originally used to house aging family members (which gives it the name), it has evolved over the years and now offers versatile space options for your family’s needs and requirements.
A granny flat isn’t merely another ‘piece’ in your property; it is a small home, either attached to the main residenceor free standing. It is a livable or workable space for your immediate family members, relatives, friends or tenants.
When your house is bursting at the seams, the natural choice is to look at the yard and wonder if it is a good idea to build a granny flat.
Are granny flats a good idea?
Yes, granny flats areworth your time and investment, because you can use them as a:
- Accommodation for aging family members
- Playroom for young family
- Housing for teenagers
- Teenager(s)’ retreat
- Art studio
- Home office
- Luxury backyard holiday home
- Source of income (granny flat can earn approx. $150-$300+ pw depending on the suburb)
- Really the list is endless
While building a granny flat is a good idea, it involves the right kind of research and planning. And it can take quite a while to look for the information and get it in place. Not to mention, you might even miss some critical things. We’ve put together a guide answering the key questions that you have in mind, including what a granny flat is and the legalities involved to build one.
Download the guide, sit back, relax, read all about granny flats before you research about builders.
What the guide covers:
- What is a granny flat?
- Who can live in a granny flat?
- What are the requirements?
- How big can a granny flat be?
- How long will it take to build a granny flat?
- Attached vs detached
- Can the granny flat look consistent with the main home? How to achieve this consistency
- How should you design your granny flat?
- Is granny flat a good investment (should you build one just to rent it out?)
If you need to know any other information about granny flats other than the ones in the ebook, give us a buzz and we’ll be happy to help!